A note from Erika's teacher

It would be impossible for me to overstate how brilliant a human being Erika is. Erika is a tireless advocate for social justice causes. She is the founder and president of our school's Peer Tutor program. She has volunteered at soup kitchens, in elementary school classes and on literally countless student committees. She is selfless, thoughtful and generous.
I have been moved to help her seek funding for the BELL: Hawai'i Program with Brown University because Erika, a constant giver, deserves to have a chance to sustain herself and her passions. Because of her interest in STEM related topics, the opportunity to explore the biological diversity of Hawai'i in order to apply her learning to her own urban community in New York City is crucial. Through this program, Erika will be able to explore her academic interests in local solutions to sustainable living, and to travel, and in doing so, to take risks around her own comfort zones.
Kerry MacNeil
Dean of Student Affairs 
Erika

Erika

  •  11th grade 
  •  New York 
  •  Leadership
Any opportunity that is handed to me I will take, regardless of how challenging it is or how near to impossible it may sound. As a junior I am taking 3 AP classes, one of the few that have ever done this at my school. I am working harder than I have ever worked before.
I have lived in a place where I know how fast dreams can be taken away from you and how fast unimaginable things can occur. I want to get out of this community in order to study and then one day come back as a more educated individual to change the communities I grew up in. Everything I see as heartbreaking only gives me more motivation to show everyone that I can do all that I want, regardless of where I come from. I am most excited about finally reaching college and then graduating and giving back to communities that need the help.
I have always wanted to travel and learn about different cultures around the world. I want to learn why it is that so many different people all over the world have such different beliefs and how they make use ofall of their resources and surroundings. This program would allow me to study the land and features of an environment I might not otherwise be introduced to. Furthermore, participation in this program would allow me to apply the life skills necessary to communicate with others around me, and will give me the advantage of furthering my personal skills with people I have never met before. I will be pushed beyond my boundaries and will learn how to defend myself while exploring and learning about a diverse culture